Saturday, March 12, 2011

Grape Bubblegum

The other night I got a craving for grape Bubble Yum bubblegum, which used to be one of my favorite flavors when I was little.  It's artificial grape had a sour sweetness that no other brand or flavor could quite match (although the dark pink--not the light pink--Extra gum was also tops).  So my friend and I walked down the street to the gas station convenience store in search of grape Bubble Yum.  We made the disappointing discovery that there was no Bubble Yum to be found, but there was grape Bubblicious.  So we bought a pack and immediately stuffed two big pieces each into our mouths.  My friend took two or three choffs and proclaimed, "Agh, I regret it already!"  I likened the experience to chewing a damp sock.  But don't get me wrong--it was just what I'd been craving, and I greatly enjoyed every moment.  We parted company shortly thereafter, still chewing and fighting back the drool that threatened to escape our overstuffed mouths, and I drove home, grinning all the way.

4 comments:

  1. Reading this just made me crave purple Bubble Tape so hard. However, I can definitely imagine that the experience might be a little less exciting at age 24 than age 8 - still, I might have to try to find some now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a little less exciting, but still pretty great. Plus there's a lovely overlay of nostalgia now, which makes it even better. Good luck with your Bubble Tape quest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to remember if grape was my favorite or strawberry...? I know that I bought strawberry more often, but now I don't know if it was because I liked the flavor better or because someone I was supposed to share with didn't like the grape flavor. I, too, may have to head to a store on a gum quest.

    ReplyDelete