Sunday, April 3, 2011

Scones

In spite of the gnawing uncertainty about whether it's pronounced "s-koh-ns" or "sk-ah-ns" (I say, using my entirely made-up phonetic system), I love these tasty, doughy, teatime treats.  I like them plain, spread with butter, with lemon curd, with jam, and/or with fruit or chocolate baked in.  I like them with black tea, herbal tea, coffee, or milk.  I like them at breakfast time, elevenses, lunchtime, teatime, dinner time, or for a late-night snack.  I like them large or small.  But I especially like them homemade and fresh.  I am fortunate enough to have a housemate who bakes excellent scones from scratch.  He's got it down to an art.  Sometimes they will be plain, sometimes they'll have crystallized ginger, berries, or chocolate baked in.  He makes them in large rounds which he scores to mark out six or eight wedges.  When the scones are baked, you can easily break off a wedge (or two or three) to enjoy with the beverage of your choice.  And of course, they're best hot out of the oven, when the chocolate bits are all gooey.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment