Wednesday, February 9, 2011

College Basketball

In honor of tonight's big UNC-Duke game (go, Heels!), I offer this tribute to the game that so many recognize as a religion unto itself. I grew up in one of the world's pockets of truly ardent basketball fandom, but I have to be honest here: mine is a family that did not give a flip about the sport, and for many years I had no particular allegiance to one team over another. For various reasons, I now count myself a UNC fan, and while I will never follow the Tar Heels' ups and downs with the limitless fervor of some of my peers, I recognize and enjoy the passion of the rivalry between Duke and UNC. In the world of soccer, former Liverpool FC coach Bill Shankly is widely reputed to have said, "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Ask most anybody around here about basketball at this time of year, and I think they'd agree. Enjoy the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment