Sunday, February 27, 2011

Visions of the Future

When I daydream about the future, my visions are pretty individualized: imagining the person I will settle down with and where we'll live, imagining the career I'd like to have down the road, imagining the book deal I'll get from some publishing executive who is smitten with my duck blog--you know, the usual.  But I love that some people think much more broadly in their visions of the future, unconstrained by what seems plausible or even desirable.  And that's how we ended up with The Jetsons, with their robot maids and flying cars and people-moving tubes high in the stratosphere.  It amuses me greatly that so many people decide that in the future we will all want to wear Spandex jumpsuits with boldly asymmetrical, brightly-colored designs.  I mean, I would totally be all over that for a day or two, but I'm sure the thrill would wear off pretty quickly.  Anyway, I've got to go watch the Oscars, so that's all for tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment