Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Really Great Sandwiches

I love a really great sandwich.  There is a limitless variety of tasty sandwiches in the world, and it is fun to experiment with the options.  It's interesting that if you get two people, their ideas of what constitutes the best sandwich ever will be different, sometimes subtly and other times radically.  A sandwich is so simple, yet so deeply satisfying.  It's got everything in one handy package--protein, veggies, sauces, bread.  A sandwich that I love is thinly sliced roasted chicken (the kind you can prepare at home, not the extra-thin, deli-sliced kind), roasted red peppers, red onion, lettuce, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, and ground black pepper on a sourdough roll.  On Valentine's Day (coincidentally, not in particular observance thereof) I enjoyed a sandwich with the ingredients at hand: marbled cheddar cheese, sardines canned in tomato sauce, pickled jalapeños, roasted peppers, lettuce, and hot sauce on wheat bread.  I can't say the flavors necessarily went together, but the contrast between smooth roasted peppers, creamy cheese, crunchy jalapeños, and crispy lettuce kept my tongue most entertained.  What's your favorite sandwich?  (The finger-shaped shadows at the bottom of this picture are, not surprisingly, my fingers.  I used the photo anyway as part of my drive to focus more on consistent posts than perfection.  It's very freeing.)

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite sandwiches starts with a bagel. I add sliced turkey, fresh spinnach, baby bella mushrooms, fresh tomatos, provolone cheese and sweet vidalia onion salad dressing! Yummy! I first had a variation of this sandwich at the Gramd Canyon.
    I'm also quite fond of turkey reubens. Take off the corned beef and add turkey! I love the melted cheese with the turkey and the sour kraut with the thousand island dressing!
    ...now I want a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I a big fan of sandwiches I feel it is important to include them in the dessert. I find that using two large chocolate chip cookies as bread, an ice cream sandwich and brownie in the mild with cool whip to keep everything together makes a nice treat. You can throw some walnuts in there for protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! The often-overlooked dessert sandwich gets its due! And you, sir, are the undisputed master of dessert sandwiching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People might find this amusing being that I identify as a vegetarian... Although I'm usually a pretty strict vegetarian, my favorite sandwich is a tuna melt. It is a rare indulgence, saved for those rare moments calling for unrepentant celebration, or for a desperate attempt to improve a crappy day. For me, the perfect tuna melt consists of sourdough bread, muenster cheese, lettuce, tomato, and of course a heaping portion of tuna salad. Then, grill the sandwich to perfection panini style. Together with some chips and a fountain drink, this sandwich transports me to a place that is the closest one can get to heaven while part of this earthly realm. Yum....

    ReplyDelete