Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jam Sessions

On Friday I had a chance to jam with two friends in my basement.  There are only two ducks in this picture because it was getting late, so you'll have to imagine the third.  We'd been looking forward for a while to rocking out with electric guitars and making some positive noise.  It was a pleasure to engage in joint musical inspiration.  One of us would start playing a few chords or fingerpick a pattern, and the other two would figure out what we could add without overpowering the original idea or changing the mood drastically.  Probably the coolest feeling was how we would all without saying anything know when an idea had run its course, and slowly, spontaneously move together into different territory.  Of course to someone on the outside it might have sounded like just so much noodling around, but to be playing that way was satisfying and challenging.  I enjoy playing with people who are better than me, and I felt like that was the case here.  I could keep up, but I was pushing myself, which felt great.  Can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment