Monday, March 21, 2011

Mortar and Pestle and Garam Masala

I told myself this wouldn't happen, but I knew it would.  I've fallen behind in my blog posts.  Fear not, though, for I'm catching up tonight with two posts.  First, making Indian food from more-or-less scratch, which I did last night with a lovely lady ducky (you can tell by the kickin' hair bow).  It was not only simpler than I'd thought it would be, but also even more fun than I'd hoped.  And cooking together is an excellent way to see how compatible two people, *ahem* or ducks, are.  I'm pleased to say we got along swimmingly in the kitchen.  We toasted spices to intensify their flavors and ground them in a mortar and pestle to use in a masala sauce.  We coated chicken in a yogurt sauce before broiling it, cutting it up, and adding it to the sauce.  We crushed garlic, plucked cilantro leaves from the stem, and grated ginger up the wazoo.  And it ended up absolutely perfect.  The chicken was tender and not at all overdone, and the sauce was flavorful and just spicy enough.  Mmmm!  And we were just going from a recipe off the internet.  It's inspired me to branch out more in my cooking.  Culinary adventures, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment